If you are convicted of DWI in Wall, you will be exposed to significant penalties. The extent of the consequences is tied to whether it is a first offense, second offense or third offense. Not every lawyer can offer you the same opportunity to avoid these penalties insofar as some are more experienced and simply better than others. We believe that the attorneys at our firm, the Law Offices of Marshall, Bonus, Proetta & Oliver fall within the latter group, given the exceptional qualifications and experience we possess. To learn more, contact us today to speak with an experienced Wall NJ DWI Attorney about the circumstances of your case.
The following is a list of the major categories of DWI penalties you may be exposed to in Wall Township New Jersey:
- Surcharges. The Division of Motor Vehicles levies a mandatory surcharge of $1,000 per year for three (3) years for a first offense or a second offense. The surcharge is $1,500 per year for three (3) years for a third offense.
- Ignition Interlock. For a first offense, an ignition interlock applies for BAC readings of .15% or more. The device must be in place for the suspension period and for 6 months to 1 year following restoration. An ignition interlock is mandatory for repeat offenders, including a second or third conviction, for the suspension period and 1 to 3 years following recovery of driving privileges.
- License Suspension. The suspension period for a first offense is 3 months for blood alcohol concentration of .08 but less than .10%, and 7 months to 1 year for readings of .10% or higher. A second offense carries a mandatory suspension of two (2) years. The revocation is ten (10) years for a third offense or more.
- Jail. The court has discretion to impose jail of up to thirty (30) days for a first offense and two (2) days to ninety (90) days for a second offense. The jail term for a third or subsequent offense is one hundred eighty (180) days.
- Fines. The fine for a first offense ranges from $250-$500, $500-$1,000 for a second offense and is $1,000 for a third offense.
It is important to keep in mind that the penalties are avoided if you are found not guilty of DWI. We believe that the best step you can take to avoid the negative ramifications of a conviction in Wall Township is to hire the right attorney. The lawyers at our office can provide a formidable option in your selection process. Give us a call anytime 24/7 to schedule an appointment at our Wall office or to speak to one of our attorneys free of charge.